We’re incredibly happy to have conducted social media workshops at the Cape Craft and Design Institute and the Cape Chamber of Commerce in the last few days. Exposing more small businesses to the possibilities of social media is one of the most enjoyable parts of our work.
One recurring theme that pops up over and over in these sessions is “yes, I know I should be using social media… but how do I use social media right”? We’re so happy you asked, and we’re happy to share a sneak peek from the presentation we gave in hopes that it helps you make the most of your social media profiles and channels, better communicate with your fans and followers, and realize real business results. It’s actually from Facbook’s “best practice” guide, but applies to all social media channels and interactions.
It boils down to 5 guiding principles:
- Don’t just add social on – build a strategy that’s social by design.
- Don’t advertise, talk – create and speak in YOUR authentic brand voice.
- Listen and converse – make your social media space interactive (it’s social after all…).
- “Woo” – this is about relationships, not one off meetings. Build them to last.
- Fill your brain – the social media world is perpetually changing. Learn and change with it to make the most of it.
Take a look at the image below for our 5 guiding principles for social media awesomeness and success. And feel free to add your own “guiding principles”, good ideas or secret insights. Like #5 says – we’re all about learning, and we want to know what you do.